North Korea Calls Pompeo Talks “Regrettable”

(From CBS News)

North Korea’s Foreign Ministry called talks with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo “regrettable” after his visit this week to Pyongyang and accused the U.S. of making unilateral demands for denuclearization. The statement by an unnamed North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman on Saturday came hours after Pompeo concluded two days of talks with North Korean officials led by Kim Yong Chol. Pompeo left North Korea without meeting directly with leader Kim Jong Un, as he has during previous visits.

The statement said the U.S. betrayed the spirit of last month’s summit between President Trump and Kim Jong Un by making unilateral demands on “CVID,” or the complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization of North Korea. It called the outcome of the follow-up talks “very concerning” because it has led to a “dangerous phase that might rattle our willingness for denuclearization that had been firm.”

The lack of a meeting with Kim, and North Korea’s description of the talks, raise concerns about the future of denuclearization. After the Singapore summit, Mr. Trump said North Korea no longer poses a nuclear threat.

Click here for article.